Saturday 16 April 2011

Day 6: I rediscover my love for Play Dough


Hey there Readers,
When we did exercise with the kids a few days ago at 6:00 in the morning, we decided that it would be the last time, but the orphans did not. So today they came up at about 6:30 and woke me up so that I would go play with them, so I grudgingly got ready and went to the park where I made them run a lap and then tried to play a game with them. The problem with the game was that they wanted to play Duck Duck Goose but the all wanted to sit next to me so it was a clump of little kids fighting to get the spot next to me and Brij Mohan punched Manish in the face which caused him to wail so I decided to stop a little early. I took Manish on my back to the orphanage where I saw Julie tutoring Muskan, the oldest girl there. At this point mom walked in and helped shine their shoes while I took care of Manish. After the orphanage we returned home and got our rickshaw to take us to Prakash Deep. Once again I taught our class. There were a few more students today but otherwise we just followed the textbook and everything ran smoothly. At some point we played I spy and then I brought out a Where’s Wally? Book (Where’s Waldo in the States) that mom brought from the UK. This kept them entertained for a while and afterwards I helped out my mom with her class of little kids who were calmer than the previous class while my kids were on break. We did numbers and a few simple conversations. It was getting towards the end of the day and she was running out of games and she got out the secret weapon. Play-dough. She gave me a pack and I started on a snail and soon I was surrounded and began giving it out in strips. They had never been giving anything like it and were all over mom and me. The girls just sat quietly and played nicely whereas the boys were a bit wild. I was making things like snowmen, and fingermen and there was always a group surrounding me. The rickshaw on the way back was an older one and the engine was literally right underneath the driver’s seat. To start it you have to lift up the seat and pull on a string, kind of like a lawnmower. There were practically no shock absorbers as which made the journey particularly jarring. We got home without breaking any teeth and I took a shower and a nap. The rest of the day has been uneventful and I just ate dinner. While we were downstairs the power cut off as it does sometimes here in India, but Bandhu has a generator for emergency lights. Mom, B, and I went up to our room to find that it was pitch black and even worse, the fans weren’t working. It was so incredibly hot that I couldn’t even sleep. Eventually after an hour my mom checked the lights and the fans worked so I could finally sleep. Tomorrow I’m waking up early to go to Jaipur where we are going to stay in a hotel over the weekend. Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment